Thursday, February 23, 2012

Wreaths

 I'm going to share some of my first dabs at wreath making from Oct-Dec 2011

Halloween is my favorite holiday. I always said when I had my own house I'd go ballistic! My boyfriend and I moved into our own place in May, and well, my funds were too tight for me to go too crazy with decorating, so I decided to make my first wreath.

It happened as bit of an accident really, I was in Michael's near Halloween for something or other when I saw this huge white basket filled with black wreaths for $5. That seemed like a really good deal to me, so then I spent the rest of my time in the store gathering things that I thought would go well on it.

The product was so much better than I thought it would turn out! I found some sparkly bat garland and a wooden "wreath" that I painted and glittery spiders with clips. I also found some purple battery operated LED lights to stick in it so I could show it off at night. 

When December rolled around, I knew I wanted a Christmas wreath since I couldn't afford to put lights out or buy any Christmas decorations. I know some people could go on and on about Christmas, but it is my least favorite holiday...So I didn't want to decorate with the typical reds and greens. I figured, if I went with a blue color theme, I could leave the wreath up through January without my neighbors judging me.

I found a cute ribbon wreath tutorial while scouring Pinterest, and decided to give it a go. You can find the tutorial here, Since I just so happened to go to Hobby Lobby to collect materials when they had ALL of their Christmas stuff like 40% off, it was a mad house and pickin's were slim. I probably would have been a lot more happy with this wreath if I had found more ribbon I liked so I could have fattened it up a bit, but I was pleased with the overall result.

Unfortunately, it is almost March, so I think it's about time for me to take it down and move onto a new wreath! Now..to decide a theme....

No comments:

Post a Comment